Green Country communities are gearing up for winter weather.
FOX23’s Angela Hong talked to leaders in Broken Arrow about how they’re preparing for the threat of weather.
Officials said they’ve replenished mounds of salt, and they now have about 400 tons of it in the salt barn.
They said they’re ready for whatever winter weather comes their way over the next few days.
On Friday, maintenance crews looked over the plows and trucks in Broken Arrow, making sure they’re ready.
FOX23 News found out Broken Arrow started the year with 1,200 tons of salt and 1,800 tons of sand.
Crews will also be on standby this weekend through early next week in case the roads get bad.
Broken Arrow Spokesperson Stephanie Higgins said workers have easy access to more if needed.
She said so far, this winter has not been difficult to handle for the city's crew unlike some other years, “We haven't had any major ice storms that we've had to deal with. There have been a few that have been a little pesky but you still have to deal with them in the same manner and our crews are out doing what they need to do. Normally you can get around Broken Arrow pretty well after storms like this."
The City of Tulsa also told FOX23 they are prepared for any winter weather, with 9,500 tons of salt available.
They also said the city will be monitoring the weather and have crews on stand-by to come in at a moment’s notice.
They have the following resources:
- The City’s Streets & Stormwater Dept. handles snow and ice response on the city arterial streets with 170 drivers and support staff assigned to 35 specific routes, totaling 1,768 lane-miles.
- During wintry weather, snow and ice crews follow specific routes on arterial and collector streets. The following link includes every map and route the City uses for arterial streets, collector streets, schools and steep hills: https://www.cityoftulsa.org/media/150900/pw%20maps.pdf
- Started the winter season with 14,500 tons of salt – ordered another 3,000 tons a month ago. City has close to 9,500 tons of salt currently available
- 63 truck-mounted salt/sand spreaders. 45 of those are truck-mounted snow plows
- Seven 4x4 pick-ups equipped with snow plows
- Three motor graders for use as plows