|Updated: 1/02/2013 9:11 am
||Published: 1/01/2013 9:40 pm
For a family in Bartlesville 2013 has to be better than 2012 because of the terrible way the year ended for them.
FOX23 talked with them as they looked for anything they could salvage from what used to be their home.
At this point, that's not much: a bed frame and a couple of pictures. Firefighters searched for hours for the Proctors' kitten.
No one had time late last week to grab anything else.
"All I knew was I had to get the kids out," said Jonathan Proctor.
At first, Jonathan dismissed his wife Sabrina’s notion that something wasn't right.
"It was a burning plastic smell," said Sabrina.
But then Jonathan smelled it too. He took a look downstairs, where his five children were sleeping.
"My wife screamed," said Jonathan. "She just started screaming fire."
It was an electrical fire in the attic. Moments later, flames were through the roof. Just three days before, the family had opened gifts together, in their living room.
"The kids ask when we can go home, and it’s hard telling them we don't have a home," said Sabrina.
They’ve crammed into another small, two-bedroom home with family.
"It seems each day is harder," said Jonathan.
The house was not their only major loss.
The doors at Jonathan’s job have closed for good. Just two weeks before Christmas, he found out he was being laid off.
"In front our kids, my husband and I put up a united front, and tell them as long as we're together, everything will be ok," said Sabrina.
When the kids aren't around, they often wonder if that's true.
Sabina said the family was just trying to come to terms with having no paycheck, and now no home.
"I’m hurt and angry," said Sabrina.
But since she's a stay-at-home mom, she did put together a fire safety plan. It saved everyone's life. Turns out, every member of their family made it out alive; even their cats.