|Updated: 1/27 5:58 pm
||Published: 1/27 11:28 am
Strong winds made it difficult for firefighters to put out an east Tulsa apartment fire.
The fire broke out around 5:30 a.m. on Monday at the Observation Point Apartments near 41st and 129th East Avenue.
FOX23 learned the fire was caused by someone throwing out smoking materialsm like a cigarette butt.
FOX23's Tiffany Alaniz spoke with one man who acted quickly to get families out alive.
The fire at building 16 destroyed 3 units and several nearby apartments have smoke and water damage. Residents who live here at observation point told FOX23 waking up to a fire was terrifying.
“I opened the door and the apartment building next door was ablaze," said resident Jeff Hogan.
He said he woke up when he heard the fire alarms. He sprang into action, to help others.
“So, I immediately went into my house, picked up my cell phone and a fire extinguisher because there was some debris on the grass that was starting to spread and I put it out and I kept yelling and I couldn't get anybody up so I started beating on everybody's doors,” he said.
No one was injured in the fire and firefighters told FOX23 they are thankful residents acted quickly to get everyone out.
“Saves us a lot of time so we can attend to the fire," said Capt. Stan May with the Tulsa Fire Department.
Fire officials said the bitterly cold temps and strong winds could have made the fire worse.
“Very windy conditions, they went ahead and immediately called a second alarm because on an apartment building this size, there's 16 units…once it gets into the attic it usually goes very fast but they did a great job getting up in there and stopping it," said May.
The Red Cross was able to put 4 families in a motel, they will be able to stay there 2 nights while the apartment complex managers work to find them new housing.