Great granddaughter wakes family inside burning Tulsa home

by: Hector Mejia Updated:

Loading
TULSA, Okla. —

Quick Facts:

 

  • Firefighters responded to a home on Johnstown, near 56th and Peoria
  • A great grandmother, her daughter and great grandchildren were asleep
  • An 8-year-old granddaughter heard a noise and woke the house

 

A Tulsa family escaped a house fire early Monday morning, partially thanks to a child.

Around 4:30, firefighters were called to a home on North Johnstown, near 56th and Peoria. 

FOX23 was there as fire crews worked the scene. 

<div id="fb-root"></div><script>(function(d, s, id) {  var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];  if (d.getElementById(id)) return;  js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;  js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3";  fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script><div class="fb-video" data-allowfullscreen="1" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/FOX23HectorMejia/videos/685648501578338/"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><blockquote cite="https://www.facebook.com/FOX23HectorMejia/videos/685648501578338/"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/FOX23HectorMejia/videos/685648501578338/"></a><p>UPDATE: Eight-year-old saves her mother, great grandmother and two siblings when she woke them up as flames quickly spread through the house. BREAKING: three children and two adults wake up to their home covered in flames in north Tulsa. FOX23 News This Morning is live on the scene as crews work on hot spots.</p>Posted by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/FOX23HectorMejia/">FOX23 Hector Mejia</a> on Monday, November 30, 2015</blockquote></div></div>

Crews say one great grandchild woke to a popping noise. She woke her mother, great grandmother and two siblings. The family told FOX23 that 8-year-old saved everyone's lives. 

<!-- Start of Brightcove Player -->
<div >
</div>
<!--By use of this code snippet, I agree to the Brightcove Publisher T and C found at https://accounts.brightcove.com/en/terms-and-conditions/. -->
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="http://admin.brightcove.com/js/BrightcoveExperiences.js"></script>
<object id="myExperience4637423472001" class="BrightcoveExperience">  <param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" />  <param name="width" value="300" />  <param name="height" value="169" />  <param name="playerID" value="2503332976001" />  <param name="playerKey" value="AQ~~,AAAB-7vU6gE~,ygf2iZXD7xNzK8FvAopiIRWErKGDRrOO" />  <param name="isSlim" value="true" />  <param name="dynamicStreaming" value="true" />      <param name="@videoPlayer" value="4637423472001" /></object>
<!-- This script tag will cause the Brightcove Players defined above it to be created as soonas the line is read by the browser. If you wish to have the player instantiated only afterthe rest of the HTML is processed and the page load is complete, remove the line.--><script type="text/javascript">brightcove.createExperiences();</script>
<!-- End of Brightcove Player -->

When they left, half the house was on fire, including the living and dining rooms, as well as the kitchen.

Firefighters say the family had no working smoke detectors, and they believe the fire started because of electrical issues.

Firefighters encouraged residents to get smoke detectors, offering to waive charges if needed. They said families with questions about smoke detectors can call 918-596-9444.

<!-- Start of Brightcove Player -->
<div >
</div>
<!--By use of this code snippet, I agree to the Brightcove Publisher T and C found at https://accounts.brightcove.com/en/terms-and-conditions/. -->
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="http://admin.brightcove.com/js/BrightcoveExperiences.js"></script>
<object id="myExperience4637433364001" class="BrightcoveExperience">  <param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" />  <param name="width" value="300" />  <param name="height" value="169" />  <param name="playerID" value="2503332976001" />  <param name="playerKey" value="AQ~~,AAAB-7vU6gE~,ygf2iZXD7xNzK8FvAopiIRWErKGDRrOO" />  <param name="isSlim" value="true" />  <param name="dynamicStreaming" value="true" />      <param name="@videoPlayer" value="4637433364001" /></object>
<!-- This script tag will cause the Brightcove Players defined above it to be created as soonas the line is read by the browser. If you wish to have the player instantiated only afterthe rest of the HTML is processed and the page load is complete, remove the line.--><script type="text/javascript">brightcove.createExperiences();</script>
<!-- End of Brightcove Player -->

The homeowner just celebrated her 80th birthday on Saturday. She has lived at the home for 39 years. 

<!-- Start of Brightcove Player -->
<div >
</div>
<!--By use of this code snippet, I agree to the Brightcove Publisher T and C found at https://accounts.brightcove.com/en/terms-and-conditions/. -->
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="http://admin.brightcove.com/js/BrightcoveExperiences.js"></script>
<object id="myExperience4637464066001" class="BrightcoveExperience">  <param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" />  <param name="width" value="300" />  <param name="height" value="169" />  <param name="playerID" value="2503332976001" />  <param name="playerKey" value="AQ~~,AAAB-7vU6gE~,ygf2iZXD7xNzK8FvAopiIRWErKGDRrOO" />  <param name="isSlim" value="true" />  <param name="dynamicStreaming" value="true" />      <param name="@videoPlayer" value="4637464066001" /></object>
<!-- This script tag will cause the Brightcove Players defined above it to be created as soonas the line is read by the browser. If you wish to have the player instantiated only afterthe rest of the HTML is processed and the page load is complete, remove the line.--><script type="text/javascript">brightcove.createExperiences();</script>
<!-- End of Brightcove Player -->