TULSA, Okla. - Quick Facts:
- Prosecutors believe 17-year-old William Campbell killed Craig Wingard
- Wingard died in July 2015, after an argument involving stolen property
- As he and a friend left an apartment, someone shot him to death
- Officers arrested William Campbell, believing he was the shooter
- Michael Bever’s attempts to avoid trial as an adult nearly delayed the case
- The jury went to trial in Campbell’s case on Friday afternoon.
A Tulsa jury recommended William Campbell serve a life sentence for first degree murder and aimless pointing of a firearm in the 2015 shooting death of Craig Wingard.
State officials said the killing was over a set of car keys after an argument between the victim and defendant.
The key piece of evidence for the prosecutors was a taped interview in which Campbell admitted to being responsible.
Attorneys for Campbell argued that he didn’t intentionally shoot Wingard and only meant to scare him.
Campbell’s sentencing is set for May.
Trending Now on FOX23.com:
- Suspected getaway driver in Broken Arrow home invasion: 'We were greedy'
- Turley minister arrested on child porn charges
- Facebook post costs woman $500,000
- AMBER Alert teen, suspected kidnapper spotted in OKC
- Mother of boy who died from carbon monoxide poisoning: 'This is a horrible, horrible accident'
© 2018 Cox Media Group.