TULSA, Okla. - Quick facts:
- Opening statements began in Shaynna Sims' trial.
- Sims is accused of cutting a corpse at a funeral home.
- Her trial is underway.
Opening statements were given Tuesday in what is likely to be one of the most graphic trials a jury will have to consider this year in Tulsa County.
Shaynna Sims was arrested two years ago for allegedly stealing from and mutilating the body of her husband's lover while she was on display for a viewing during her funeral proceedings.
Tuesday, prosecutors laid out how they will try to prove that Sims is an angry wife who tried to get revenge on the woman her husband was cheating on her with. They argue that in addition to messing up and cutting up her husband's lover's body, she also pretended to be a funeral home employee in order to steal the deceased’s belongings.
Trending Now on FOX23.com
- Aunt arrested in connection to disappearance of Tulsa children
- Green Country grandmother jailed over alleged contributions to massive drug conspiracy
- Who is Steve Stephens, suspect in Cleveland Facebook killing?
- The Lyrid meteor shower has begun; here's when and where to look
- Livestream of April the Giraffe to end this week, zoo says
Sims' attorney said that his client simply came to the funeral home to show her respects, because she and her husband's lover were once friends.
The defense is hoping to show jurors that because the woman's body went through both an autopsy and an organ donation before arriving at the funeral home, the body was already carved and in bad shape before the actual funeral.
Sims, the defense said, was simply trying to make the woman's makeup and hair to her known liking and more presentable for future viewers.
Mother contacted after children found wandering alone in north Tulsa
© 2018 Cox Media Group.