CREEK COUNTY, Okla. - Quick Facts:
- Investigators arrested Larry Patterson wanted for a 1973 case
- Investigators say he was an unregistered sex offender
- Investigators said he was involved in a rape and homicide out of California
A suspect in a California cold case is behind bars in Green Country.
Larry Patterson, 66, is accused in a double kidnapping, rape and murder case out of Yuba County, California.
William Harbour, his alleged cohort, was arrested in California Tuesday.
Patterson was already a convicted sex offender in 1973 when the crime happened.
He also spent time in jail for an unrelated rape case.
He and Harbour are accused of kidnapping two girls, raping them and then murdering them.
The victims were Valerie Lane and Doris Derryberry, 12 and 13 years old at the time.
One of the victims was Harbour’s neighbor.
Investigators say Harbour was still neighbors with the victim’s family when he was arrested.
They say Patterson fled first to Arizona, where he never registered as a sex offender. He also lived in Texas.
He later came to the west Tulsa area in, where some of his family lives, in 2015.
The murder case was recently reopened.
Investigators said DNA evidence connected Harbour and Patterson to the case.
The US marshals service found that Patterson was staying in an area near Southwest Boulevard and 71st West Avenue in the Oakhurst area.
Richard Wise said he had no idea the man living and working on his land was accused of the crimes.
Patterson thought he was getting arrested only on a “failure to register” warrant out of Arizona. He was told today that he is a suspect in the California case.
Investigators said it took weeks to figure out how to safely apprehend Patterson after they learned of his whereabouts within the state.
- 1973 rape, homicide suspect out of California found hiding out near Oakhurst
- Front-loading washer settlement may mean money for consumers
- Police arrest man accused in hundreds of Tulsa car burglaries, identity theft cases
- Teen arrested, four others missing after north Tulsa chase
- What to expect as rain returns to Green Country
© 2018 Cox Media Group.