BROKEN ARROW, Okla. - A Broken Arrow woman died on New Year's Eve, house sitting for her family when a fire broke out.
FOX23's Sharon Phillips talked to the daughter of the woman who could not escape flames near 96th and County Line Road. Hear more from her on FOX23 News at 5.
The fire marshal says when they got the call, flames already engulfed the house. They learned someone might be inside when they arrived just before 9 p.m.
They began search and rescue efforts, finding the woman's body and a few family pets.
Officials confirmed that the woman was identified as Shelly Mayor, 55, who lived at the home with her daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter, who were not home at the time of the fire.
The fire marshal says no cause has been identified; they do not believe the fire was suspicious.
Family members are working to raise money to support the woman's family.
Trending Now on FOX23.com
- Green Country schools cancel class during cold weather
- Baby boy aardvark at the Cincinnati Zoo needs a name - any ideas?
- Stay connected on the go- download the FOX23 News app
- Hollywood women launch #TimesUp campaign to end sexual harassment
- Teen kills parents, sister on New Year's Eve, officials say
© 2018 Cox Media Group.