Girl locked in former bank vault in Pryor

Story Comments Share

Reported by: Sharon Phillips
Updated: 12/14/2012 5:41 pm Published: 12/14/2012 9:59 am

A Pryor teen is recovering after being locked inside an old bank vault for hours.

It happened at the former Old First National Bank on Main which is now the Grand Lakes Mental Health Center.
The teen was not a patient, but rather a person with the cleaning crew.

Teresa Armantrout has worked at the Grand Valley Abstract Company for nearly 22 years. It sits right across the street from the Grand Lakes Mental Health Center where the teen got locked in the vault on Thursday evening. Teresa’s company also uses an old bank vault to store valuable documents in, but when she heard the news about what happened, she began to have a flashback.

"We have another one around there, and I was in it one time when the door was closed and I'm claustrophobic so I panicked,” says Armantrout.

Thankfully, it was just another co-worker playing a joke on her.

"I just can't imagine how that girl felt,” she says.

Around 7 Thursday evening, a cleaning crew was inside the building when they heard some commotion inside the vault. That’s when they realized a teenage girl was trapped inside. She had gone in to get some cleaning supplies where they were being stored and the handle broke.

"I think they tried to address the situation through the doorway and that wasn't working at all so they went through the left of the door and cut a 14 by 20 hole for this young lady to crawl out,” says Prior Fire Department Chief, Tim Thompson.

For this very reason, Teresa says her company will be much more careful and cautious with their vault. Once the teenager was pulled out of the vault, paramedics had to give her a breathing treatment because she was having a hard time getting air.

Story Comments Share

3 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of KOKI FOX23 - Tulsa

Gladys Crump - 12/19/2012 12:33 AM
0 Votes
WOW,just wow....they must really be afraid their cleaning supplies would be stolen....a working Vault? That girl could have died. Good grief.

caring citizen - 12/16/2012 8:04 AM
0 Votes
The first report says the door shut behind her. Was it really her fault? I don't see that it was. The owner of the building should have taken precautions to ensure this kind of accident didn't occur. After all it was their faulty vault that trapped the girl in when the handle broke. Why try to blame the victim for the owners neglect?

Mayor Maynot - 12/15/2012 2:53 PM
0 Votes
Cleaning supplies?? It's not like grandmas screen door. She probably knew better than to close the door.
FOX23 Weather Center
Feels Like: 68°
High: 72° | Low: 66°
Mostly Cloudy

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.