Wind Advisory expires at 6:00 PM on 4/16, issued at 10:31 AM Avant, OK | Barnsdall, OK | Bartlesville, OK | Big Cabin, OK

Fire starts in utility room at South Tulsa complex


Story Comments Share

Story by: Janai Norman
Updated: 7/05/2013 9:33 am Published: 7/04/2013 10:03 am


A fire at a South Tulsa apartment complex marks the third one in three days FOX23 News has reported on.

It started around 7 Thursday morning at One Eton Square, near 61st Street and Memorial.

The smells of smoke and loud bangs aren’t unusual on the Fourth of July, but for residents in the complex, they didn’t signal fireworks, but a fire.

“Someone was honking their horn, just going crazy. I thought it was just Fourth of July, kind of patriotic thing,” Thomas Rosenkrans said.

“And then I started to smell smoke,” Cori Parrish told FOX23 News. “But I thought it was just because it’s the Fourth of July.”

Parrish lives in the apartment where the fire started.

She told us it’s been two days since the washer and dryer were used and she’s never had problems with them until she opened her door and saw smoke coming from the utility room.

“There’s a small heater that’s on the bottom left side to keep it heated throughout winter,” She explained. “But ours had never been turned off for summer. So that was my first thought, was that the heater had got on fire somehow.”

That’s causing concern for other residents, like Rosenkrans who says his washer and dryer look to be 20-30 years old.

“It just takes a long time to dry [clothes], and once they do get dry, it doesn’t smell like smoke, but it does smell hot,” he explained about his dryer. “There might be something wrong, I don’t know, but I think it’s time to replace those.”

We checked the FOX23 News archives and found back in February of 2012 we reported on a fire at the same apartment complex that also started in a utility closet from a dryer.

We tried called manager there but the office was closed.

Rosenkrans says on Monday he plans to talk with the manager about some improvements he’d like to see.

“Maybe a fire extinguisher on every floor, we probably could’ve put it out ourselves if they would’ve had one of those for us.”

This is the third apartment or condo fire FOX23 News has brought you in the last 3 days, and all three have been in South Tulsa.

Story Comments Share

1 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of KOKI FOX23 - Tulsa

Mayor Maynot - 7/4/2013 11:46 AM
0 Votes
@Rosencranz :-) You can buy a fire extinguisher at a hardware store. Better get a mask with an air supply and a little fire suit to keep you from getting singed while trying to rescue your dockers. But before you get too far into home rescue call 911 so you'll have backup you may need it.
FOX23 Weather Center
65°
Feels Like: 65°
High: 69° | Low: 44°
Mostly Cloudy

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.