Child burned by tiki torch is home


Story Comments Share

Related Links
Updated: 7/27/2011 11:25 am Published: 7/20/2011 4:32 pm


Update: Logan is home, he was released from the hospital on July 26th.

An accident that no parent wants to think about happened to a local firefighter’s little boy.
While the Chailer family was camping, 3-year-old Logan Chailer tipped over a tiki torch, the fuel then spilled onto him and caught him on fire.
He’s been in the Shriners Hosptial for Children-Galveston Burns Hospital since June 24th.
FOX23’s Abbie Alford reports how several fire departments want to help the family with Logan’s recovery.
Almost a month ago little Logan faced a terrible tragedy.
"He is the cutest little kid ever,” says North 48 Sunrise Volunteer Fire Chief Ryan Spyres. "He's been down here and played on the fire trucks."
While camping at Keystone Lake, Logan was severely burned after a lit tiki torch fell on him.
Logan is being treated in Texas for his second and third degree burns.
“Apparently his got his ear, part of his neck, his shoulder and his back,” says Spyres. "If it's a child, especially if we have kids of our own it can happen so fast, accidents happen all of the time for it to happen to one of our own we want to do what we can."
As a firefighter with the North 48 Sunrise Volunteer Fire Department Logan’s father Christopher has saving other family’s lives for about five years and tragedy like this is a first for the department.
"We are all family, some of the people who had been here less than a year we look out for each other and do anything for each other,” says Spyres.
The Fire Department is hosting its first poker run at area fire departments to raise money for the entire Chailer family who have been by his bedside in Texas.
"Everybody has had a hard time at home and they are without paychecks right now things like that and it's going to last quite a while until they can get back home and take care of business here at home. Anything that Logan might need,” says Spyres.
The Poker Run is Saturday, July 30th at 9 a.m. at the Peninsula Volunteer Fire Department’s Shafer Station. Participants will stop at fire departments in Cleveland, Pawnee, Yale and Mannford.
If you would like donate you can send money or drop off a donation at American Heritage bank at 408 E. Cimarron St. Mannford, OK. 74044. Checks should be made to Christopher Logan Chailer “burn donation”.
Chailer’s family is expected to find out on Thursday when Logan will be released, however, to fully recover Logan and his family will need to make several trips back to Texas.


Story Comments Share

1 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of KOKI FOX23 - Tulsa

onemoon13star - 8/4/2011 9:52 AM
1 Vote
Bake Sale for Logan is 3-6 Thursday August 4 at Lakeside in Mannford and 12-4 Friday August 5 at Phelps in Mannford. If you're in the area, please stop by to help Logan and his family!
FOX23 Weather Center
52°
Feels Like: 52°
High: 67° | Low: 30°
Mostly Cloudy

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.