|Updated: 1/22 9:11 am
||Published: 1/21 10:07 pm
The discovery of a bible in a pile of ash from a house fire is giving a Jenks family inspiration to start a new beginning in the new year.
"Someone was looking out for us, we feel special,” said Lauren Burns.
Eleven days before Christmas, the same day as the Connecticut shootings, the Burns family in Jenks faced their own tragedy.
“Nothing was worth saving,” said Lauren Burns.
Nothing was left after their home went up in flames from a suspected gas leak. They lost their family dog, toys and family mementos. A few pictures surfaced above the ash but buried and untouched by the flames was Mrs. Burns’ bible.
"That is the Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs."
"It shows that we are being looked after,” said Burns.
It was a construction worker with Titan Quality Roofing and Construction who uncovered the bible among the ashes.
"I asked did anyone put that there and no had been off their equipment,” said Jason Davis. “Untouched as you see it. You could see other things in the house covered in soot."
Scorched pages from other books float above the debris but not the bible.
"Not a page in it is messed up,” said Burns.
Before the walls came down, she found three other bibles buried in the ash and untouched. She also found crosses on the walls that were unharmed.
"I think it's just a reassuring sign that we need to start be more religious,” said Burns.
Since the fire, the community has stepped up to help the Burnses, with gifts, clothes, food and toys.
“It's a sign of hope amongst the tragedy there was someone there to protect them,” said Davis.
The power of faith is proving they can be inspired for a new beginning.
“Someone was looking out for us, we feel special."
The Burns family plans to rebuild on the same lot where they started their family.