|Updated: 2/22 10:34 pm
||Published: 2/22 10:28 pm
TULSA, Okla. - Saturday, firefighters said a kite that hit an electric line was the cause of a grass fire in West Tulsa.
The grass fire then spread and caused damage to three homes.
One of the homeowners told FOX23 he's thankful crews put it out before he lost precious mementos.
His back yard is charred and a shed is gone.
Dean Bright choked up as he looked at the damage the kite created, "It’s the only home I’ve ever owned," he told FOX23.
Tulsa firefighters said kids were flying a kite near West 51st Street when it hit an electrical wire which sparked and ignited the dry grass underneath.
“A neighbor called me and told me that the backyard was on fire,” said Bright.
The back yard burned in less than 30 seconds. “It was just that dry and just that quick,” Bright told FOX23.
When he saw the orange flames, Dean's neighbor Roger Rakes ran over to help.
“We grabbed four of my fire extinguishers and we ran over and fought the fire at the back of his house to keep it from actually catching his house on fire. It burned the siding off until the fire trucks arrived,” said Rakes.
The fire spread to three homes. Dean told FOX23 he knows accidents happen, he's just thankful the fire remained outside his home.
“I’m just happy it didn’t get inside the house and all the pictures in it.” Bright told us.
“I’ve lived here 56 years. I have a lot of memories here.”
The Tulsa Fire Department said the fire caused several thousands of dollars in damage, but no one was hurt.