It's been nearly 20 years since Arsenio Hall has graced the late-night desk, and he's returning to a crowded market.
"There's a lot of competition," Hall said at the Television Critics Association fall previews on Monday to promote the revival of The Arsenio Hall Show, which premieres on Sept. 9 (syndicated, check local listings). "I know that not everybody has a late-night host. It's hard to get people to watch you and make appointments for television... The challenges are gigantic right now. Even your biggest fan doesn't watch you every night. You hope for three nights, you hope for a good, funny show and [to] assert a unique personality."
Press Tour: Get all the CBS fall scoop
Just how similar or different will this Arsenio be to the old incarnation? Check out 5 things to expect:
1. A makeover Although Hall has kept up his youthful appearance, gone are the 1990s fashions. "It's kind of the same, but less hair, less shoulder pads."
2. The next generation of guests Hall likes the idea of interviewing the famous offspring of guests he had on the show 19 years ago, that include musician Robin Thicke (actor Alan Thicke's son) and Willow and Jaden Smith (Will Smith's kids).
3. Web presence As the panel started, Hall was on his phone and "hitting someone up." He gave credit to Jimmy Fallon for the "yodel thing" driving people from the computer to television. "I'm really into social media," Hall said. "I can't wait to write jokes [and research them]... in this digital world."
Press Tour: Get all the NBC fall scoop
4. More in-depth music coverage Kendall pointed out that although musical performances on late-night often seem like afterthoughts -- saved for the end with no interviews with the artist themselves -- Arsenio will give them meatier screentime. "I hope our show is a place for great music and to hear from artists... that will set us apart from some of our competitors."
5. An updated theme song "We rearranged the original theme ['Hall or Nothing'], and I wrote a new turnaround piece to add to a it, a new ditty," Hall said."
The Arsenio Hall Show premieres on Sept. 9 in markets nationwide. Check local listings for time and network.
Who would you like to see as Hall's first guest?
View original 5 Changes to Expect From the Arsenio Hall Show Revival at TVGuide.com
Related Articles on TVGuide.com
Other Links From TVGuide.com