Tulsa YWCA’s Amy Bracher shared tips with GDGC on how to have a superhero workout that’s fun for you and your kids.
First, name your exercises and your workouts to make it fun and exciting!
Here are some examples of Superhero exercises:
- Spiderman: Spiderman pushups – begin in pushup position but move one hand up and the other hand down. Bend one knee and place it near the hip so you look like you are Spiderman climbing up the wall.
- Batman: Shoulder flyes – stand up tall, bend elbows slightly, raise arms up to side.
- Hulk: Back flyes – bend over at hips, bend elbows slightly, raise arms up and squeeze shoulder blades together.
- Superman: “Leap buildings in a single bound” = squat jumps or tuck jumps
- “Faster than a speeding bullet” – run in place, high knees, or kick butt
- Fly on the floor in a superman Pilates/Yoga pose = lie on belly, squeeze everything, and lift legs and arms off the floor
- Catwoman: Pilates/Yoga Cat stretch = on all 4’s in table pose, arch back, think about reaching your nose to your pelvic bones.
Start with 3 rounds of 8 repetitions. When that is too easy, try 3 rounds of 10 reps, then 3 rounds of 12 reps. When that is too easy, increase the amount of your weights. YWCA
1910 South Lewis Ave
Tulsa, OK 74104ywcatulsa.org