Breakfast burritos are a quick, simple and healthy option for individuals and families. Dish Owner Michel Murphy said the options are endless with this tasty breakfast. "In less than 20 minutes you can have a dozen burritos ready for the week. If you are avoiding gluten or grains, the same recipe works beautifully for egg cupcakes," she said. "Substitute many of the ingredients to your tastes: ham, onion, asparagus, sausage, mushrooms, chives, olives, red pepper, green pepper, black beans…so many delish and healthy options."
Makes 12 burritos or cupcakes
12 strips turkey bacon cooked crisp and chopped
12 eggs at room temperature
2 cups light or lower fat cheese
12 whole-wheat medium size tortillas
4 TBS milk
2 TSP Cumin (optional)
2TSP Ground Coriander (optional)
2 cups chopped tomato
2 cups chopped spinach
12 green onions chopped
Sea salt to taste
1. Arrange assembly line of tortillas.
2. Add 2 TBSP of each ingredient to tortilla.
3. Whisk eggs, milk, salt, pepper and spices.
4. Scramble egg mixture in sauté pan over medium heat until semi firm.
5. Divide scramble among tortillas evenly and top with cheese.
6. Fold bottom of tortilla and roll from one side to the other to form a burrito.
7. Top with salsa, avocado or other garnish of your choice.
Wrap uneaten burritos in wax paper or plastic wrap and keep refrigerated for 4 days. 30 seconds in the microwave and presto! Freeze for a month in a tightly sealed container.
For cupcakes, coat a 12-muffin cup pan with cooking spray and follow the above directions, minus the tortillas. Bake in preheated 350 over for 10 minutes. Follow the storage instructions above.
For more information visit www.dishbym.com