The Olympics are only days away, so GDGC asked James Hess, Personal Trainer Department Head at Life Time Fitness South Tulsa, for tips on how to workout like an Olympian. How can people who exercise get in Olympic-athlete shape?
Through a series of strength-building and power exercises. Combining the two will help achieve optimal results. What is different about these Olympic exercises compared to others?
Olympic weight-lifting exercises are usually highly technical and require proper coaching. They target the whole body and require a lot of energy and intensity. It’s best to work with a personal trainer to decide which exercises are best for you personally as everyone should customize their exercises. What are the benefits?
These moves can improve your body strength, balance, flexibility, and core stability. How to workout like an Olympian:
Life Time Fitness South Tulsa
- Dead Lift: Take the weight that’s on the floor, from that, you use your hips and your legs to drive the weight up until you’re standing straight up and the weight is in your hands.
- Front Squat: Hold weight on clavicle with arms in front while hanging on to bar, squat as low as you can get.
- Power Clean: Explosive dead lift that goes into front squat.
- Overhead press: Take bar at chest level and hold bar so it’s over your head.
- Cleaning Jerk: Dead lift weight--start with weight on floor. Get into front squat. From front squat you go into an overhead press.
10462 S. 82nd Avenue
Bixby, OK 74133