|Updated: 4/02/2012 2:16 pm
||Published: 3/30/2012 4:35 pm
Most of us want to update our homes but with concerns about today’s economy and not wanting to create more waste, many people are not sure what to put their limited resources into or what they already have that can make the biggest impact.
Julie Paul is an Interior Designer from The Home Collection in Tulsa. Julie offers these suggestions on how to update your room without the cost of remodel:
1. PAINT PAINT PAINT!!! The right color & coat of paint will freshen up discolored walls due to dirt buildup and yellowing by the sun. It will make old chipped trim feel crisp and new again and when color is used correctly, it can add or enhance architectural details in a room.
2. Window Treatments – Simple and Inexpensive Window Treatments can turn any window into a work of art by framing a pretty view or enhancing the natural textures of the outdoors. Window treatments hung at the correct height can create an illusion of taller ceilings and more space in a room. The Higher the Better!
3. Rugs!!! – add Texture, save your floors and define your space with the right rug. Sisals and Jutes add natural enhancements to any space and show little to no dirt. Antique, Indian and Ikat rugs give rooms color, add exotic flair and give off a rich inviting feeling in bedrooms, family rooms and bathrooms!! Think outside the box in your bathroom!
4. Lighting – Just a simple lamp will give ambience to a room and make a soft cocoon like feel especially in the evening. Lamps are our modern day candles!!
5. Throw Pillows - Throw pillows can change the vibe in any room. Buy good pillow forms at your local craft store and purchase pillow covers or make your own with inexpensive fabric. Even luscious velvets, Ikats and contemporary wovens can be found inexpensively online. Plus you just need one or two yards…Mix textured, bright solids and funky prints to get an eclectic look. Buy Euro Shams in the bedding section for an oversized look on sofas and sectionals.
6. Simple accessories! Gone are the days of ivy, fake books and tchotchkes with no reason for being there except to add clutter and breed dust! Use these ideas to add the character your house needs so others will know it’s your home. Remember a FEW thoughtfully selected items in the same color make the Biggest Impact visually.
a. Buy artwork for your home while on vacation from street vendors to remember fun family times.
b. Invest in one huge tray to keep on the dining room or kitchen or coffee table. Fill it with family collectables (like part of your daughter’s rock collection) and a few favorite books.
c. Use sea shells, rocks or anything organic you pick up on a hike or day at the park in various sizes and to set out on side tables. Add a candle and your favorite bowl or small platter to hold pictures or TV remotes and viola! Fun tablescapes!
d. Buy a small REAL plant at the grocery store and replant in a cheap terracotta container. Paint it white or black. Green and White are always a hit of color and crisp in any room.
e. Take black and white photos of your favorite plant or tree outside, your mom’s hand, kid’s profile or your dog close-up combined with your favorite Poem, Bible Verse or quote written out on parchment paper. Group pictures and framed writings together in a hallway, over the kitchen table or in the family room. This will keep your mind focused on what is really important in a home!
The Home Collection is a leading interior design studio and décor supplier that has been in Tulsa for over 15 years. Our products and services are available for any budget and need!
The Home Collection
2535 E. 21st Street
Tulsa, OK 74114