Cauliflower can be prepared in many different ways --roasted, steamed, pureed and even eaten raw. It's a healthy side dish that pairs well with just about any course. Dish By M Owner Michel Murphy shows how to prepare the vegetable mashed and faux fried. "One of Dish’s customer raves is mashed cauliflower, and today it will be done porcini mushroom style, which is a delicious side dish to any meat or fish or egg dish, and also as the base for a healthy “fried” rice," she said. "This recipe makes 4 ½ cup servings, but double or triple it if you want to, and it freezes!" Murphy also creates a healthy "fried" rice using cauliflower. The recipes to make the dishes for yourself are below. Dish by M provides services such as meal delivery, cooking classes, kid's cooking camps, and consultation. "I work with people individually and in groups to learn simple, proactive strategies to improve eating, exercising and balance with work, home, family and community obligations," she said.
For more information on Dish By M and her meals visit www.dishbym.com
or call 918-697-9480. For those interested in learning about a healthier way to eat and live, small group in home cooking classes are 25% off for groups of 5 or more.
1 large head cauliflower, washed and stems removed
1 BTSP extra virgin olive oil or walnut oil
1 TBSP cumin
1 TBSP garlic – whatever you have on hand, or 2 cloves chopped finely
1TBSP lemon pepper
Juice of ½ lemon
1 oz dried porcini mushroom, rehydrated
½ C coarsely chopped yellow onion or 2 TBSP dry onion
Preheat oven to 500 degrees
1. Toss cauliflower with all ingredients until evenly coasted.
2. Place in large roasting or baking pan, spread evenly, not overlapping.
3. Bake for 30 -40 minutes until browned, turning twice during cook time
4. While cauliflower cooks, chop porcini mushroom and sautéed with onion in 1 TBSP of olive oil for 5 minutes. Set Aside.
5. When cauliflower has cooled to touch, combine the mushroom and onion mix and stir well.
6. Transfer in batches to food processor in small amounts and pulse until texture is grainy but smooth. About 3 minutes each batch.
5. Return to pan and heat for 10 more minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
To make a healthy Asian style rice, add all or a few of the following to a large sauté pan on medium high:
2 TBSP soy sauce or amino liquids
2 TSP sesame, peanut, canola or olive oil
3 green onions, chopped
½ cup frozen or fresh peas
½ cup frozen or fresh corn
3 - 4 pieces chopped bacon
2 lightly beaten eggs
1 diced red pepper
4 stalks asparagus, chopped
2 carrots, grated
Stir until sizzling then add cauliflower and stir until cauliflower browns and egg cooks through, about 1 - 2 minutes.
Garnish with cilantro and serve with your favorite meat, fish, tofu or egg dish. Or just grab a fork and go!